Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My name is ***** *****. My lights aren't working on my 2007

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** . My lights aren't working on my 2007 Subaru outback.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I have fog lights, drl, and headlights all of which don't work. fuses and relays work. there is power at the bulbs and bulbs are good. I can get drl to work after I cycle the switch and start the motor , but as soon as I hit the brights all is gone.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
bulbs are good.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok,

I see you have power out at the headlights. This means they are lacking ground.

This is going to be a little tricky for us to determine where the cause of the problem is, but I feel we can eliminate some things.

So, the first thing I would like to have you check is continuity to ground on the yellow/white stripped and yellow/blue stripped wires out at the harness connectors near the headlights. Try this with the lows on and not working and let me know if there is ground there.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will go look and be back in a few.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, basically the first thing we are checking is to see if ground is missing from the DRL module. Also, when you go to high beams, will the high beams work after that or then you simply get no lights at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I cycle the switch and get DRL's to come on, and then hit the brights, I lose all lights. High beams were the first to quit working. And now they are what makes everything quit working.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All I have is green and white wires at the headlights. I'm not sure where on the harness you want me to check.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Out at the headlights there should be a 3 wire connector, it should have the wire colors I gave you, one is one side and the other color the other side. The first is driver side.

Please see the diagram

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's no continuity to ground on those two wires
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

Is the brake light on by chance? The one on the dash?

We are going to have to locate the wiring in the steering column next to see if the light switch is sending signals to the drl module. If it is, then the module is the likely issue here.

If the parking brake light is on though, it might be the parking brake switch.

This is going to be a fairly large connector possibly at the base of the steering column under the dash. We are going to pick on 4 wires. First thing that we need to check is the Orange/white wire. It should have power on it with the headlights off and the key on.

Please check it out and let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the brake light is not on.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, then we have to run the test on the switch.

If it's not sending any signals then we know the switch is the problem, if it is, then the module is the issue. It's possible the module is getting hot and shutting down, but can't be 100% sure if the module is the problem without testing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It acts like the module not the switch. Never has it flickered or come on w/ switch manipulation. But usually goes off like something is getting hot shortly after you turn it on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the module?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can it be tested?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Well, in essence we are testing it as best we can without a scan tool. Basically we know it's not providing ground or the lights would work and you would have ground on the wires I had you check.

Subaru doesn't provide the exact location. I have the wiring harness routing and the connector number. I am sending it along with it highlighted. Should help. Upper left corner under the dash.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What exactly does it look like?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does that chart show everything in its relative position under the dash?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the diagram just showing whats under the dash?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, but it's just the harness routing, it should give you a general area. It looks like it's basically a black box with 2 harness connectors going to it. Also, you may be able to unplug the white harness and have the headlights return to normal without the DRL. If this works, then we know it's the DRL module for certain.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok. We decided to make an appointment with Subaru. So were done here. Thanks for the time.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, if you feel my time was worth it, please rate my answers.

Sorry we weren't able to locate the exact issue, but I suspect the drl module will be the repair.