AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have an adult with dementia in the house who should not be

Customer Question

Customer: I have an adult with dementia in the house who should not be driving. Is the easiest way to disable a 2012 outback to pull the EFI relay, or would you suggest another method? If so, where is the EFI relay?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife has dementia and should not drive, but isn't always aware of what's going on. I want to disable the car in a way that she would not be able to start it, but that I would be able to quickly start it if I needed to.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. What engine is in your outback? 4 cyl or 6 cyl?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
4 cylinder

Ok. Give me a few minutes

OK. I am attaching a diagram of the interior fuse panel and relay center for your car. I have put a circle around the fuel pump relay. If you remove the relay, the fuel pump will simply fail to run when the key is turned. When you want to start the car, just re install that relay and start the engine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gyfr8uj2g5wnp3/subaru.jpg?dl=0

here is another illustration that will help you locate the relay. Again, I have put an orange circle around the relay location.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixrozqfdp0stcgx/rc.jpg?dl=0

please remember to rate my service so I may receive credit. It is greatly
appreciated. If you have any other questions regarding this issue you can contact me right here at no charge
even after rating. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your automotive concerns.

Was this the answer you were looking for? or did you still need help?