Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback. Replaced dead battery. Keyless

Customer Question

Customer: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback. Replaced dead battery. Keyless entry module is clicking and car wont start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is acting like the keyless entry module is disabling the ignition. Turn the key and I can hear a relay click in the passengers footwell. Wont start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your request.

Please start by disconnecting the negative battery cable, then turn the ignition to the run position, basically like you are going to start the car, then let off the key.

With the key in the run position, next re connect the negative battery cable. Now, turn the key off and then back on and start the car. This procedure will reset the alarm and the car should start for you.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!