peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2000 subaru outback has no power to fuel pump fuse holder

Customer Question

2000 subaru outback has no power to fuel pump fuse holder #13
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,

Is the car auto or manual?

Wagon or sedan?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
automatic wagon
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Thanks,

Looks like the brown wire out of the main box runs to the fuse box inside to power up the slot for fuse #13.

If the wire is broken then there won't be power.

If it were me, I would run power to the fuse by stealing it off one of the other fuses to see if the fuel pump will then kick on and the car will run.

It looks like the brown wire off the main fuse box is broken somewhere between the 2 fuse boxes.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the car was running fine,then parked.broken wire seems unlikely,i will check that. do you think it could be the engine controller.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

If you don't have any power to fuse 13 inside the car, but SBF5 is good under the hood, I can't see it being anything but a broken wire. That wire is the power supply to the fuel pump when the relay is closed. It should be always hot, key on or off.

So, unless you have a broken wire, or bad fuse, it should be the wire broke off.

SBF 5 is also the power for the main relay. If the check engine light is coming on when the key is turned on, this will only prove the broken wire theory.

The ECM would not be the cause based on the lack of power.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the check engine light is not coming on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Take SBF5 and switch it with the like sbf next to it and see if the cel comes on.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
still no CEL
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

Ok, this case I would have to say that the main box under the hood has failed inside. I see no logical answer otherwise to be honest. Try jumping some power on to fuse 13, but if the check engine light isn't coming on, I suspect getting the pump running isn't going to matter because you won't have any spark anyhow.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i have loosened both fuse boxes no brown wires,is another color possible.so i did not check for continuity.should i test the cel to light it up before i replace a fuse box.and there is no crash safety device that could fail
Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 months ago.

check for a black/red stripped wire instead of brown. A safety device wouldn't keep you from getting power on the socket, only a wiring problem is going to do that.

The wire may be black/red however since it's being shown as BR...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay mike. there is no brown wire or a black and red.There is a large white wire with a brown terminal end.I replaced the fuse box under the hood.no cel and #13 is still dead.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Not sure why the wiring diagram would be different then the car, locate the main relay, which should be up under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel almost inaccessible and check for power on the 2 terminals I have highlighted in the diagram with the key on.

Also, tell me the wire colors on those terminals.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there are 2 relays at that location.1 has a green plug 1 is white.they both have 4 terminals not 6.they are both round shaped
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry to say it has been moved on this model year and is behind the kick panel on the passenger side of the car. You will know if you have the right relay because the 2 I have highlighted are brown wires. And it is a 6 pin relay. It should also be bolted to the body.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no relay under kick plate.removed glove box and left and right side molding.no relay on passenger side
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

I guess I am not going to be able to help you from here.

I am sorry for that, but I will open this up for the other experts. One may have better diagrams of these locations.

Please don't reply or it will lock right back to me and no one else will see it.

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you need help with this still?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.