George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

I am going to rebuild the entire front suspension on a 1998

Customer Question

I am going to rebuild the entire front suspension on a 1998 Subaru legacy outback. A wheel bearing is going out and I thought this would be a good time to do struts and cv axles and maybe the stabilizer bar. What order should I remove the components and should I finish any one thing before going on to the next?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Raise and support the frame of the front end so both sides are raised the same amount

Remove the stabilizer bar end links

Remove the axle nuts and separate the lower ball joints so you can drop the axles out

Remove the brake caliper and hang it out of the way then remove the tie rod from the knuckle

Remove the upper strut nuts and the whole strut and knuckle will drop out.

Separate the strut from the knuckle and press the bearing out of the knuckle and change out the strut from the spring. You should replace the upper strut mount as well, you must use a spring compressor to change the strut out.

With the new bearing in the knuckle and the hub in the bearing install the strut to the vehicle and the knuckle to the strut.

Put it all back together and get an alignment.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also would like to know about specialty tools (i.e. the size of the punch for knocking out the spring pin on the axles) or any other tools and sizes besides wrenches and sockets.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The pin is a 3/16" long punch, other than that and a long prybar to separate the ball joint after you remove the pinch bolt it is all sockets and wrenches. If you don't have impact tools and air plan on spending quite a while to do this.

The struts are indexed at the top to the body, take pictures as you pull them apart.

You will have a shop press the bearing and change the struts out of the springs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** more if I need to. I am taking the knucles to a machine shop.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Great, please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you