Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a clicking in the steering column when i take my 07

Customer Question

I have a clicking in the steering column when i take my 07 forester out of park.. what do you think it might be and how can i fix such a thing
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the car is still able to shift into gear it is just that little in between from when you get out of park and on your way to reverse. I have the car on and my foot on the brake when doing this. The loud noise is coming from either behind the steering column dash or the column its self.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Usually this is the key lock solenoid making noise. Usually over time the solenoid begins to click louder with age. It's mounted on the steering column so it's not surprising you would hear it coming from there. it could also be the shift lock solenoid although normally that will be mounted behind the dash. It's not uncommon at all and rarely indicates an issue. I don't have pricing for either part, but the labor to replace either is roughly .5 hours.

To be 100% honest, other then it being an annoyance, it's not really any indication of a problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!