peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2009 forester 2.5 No crank, no start, no obd link. Checked

Customer Question

Hi, 2009 forester 2.5 No crank, no start, no obd link. Checked fuses, obd pin#16 (gets 12v)..... Any ideas/suggestions?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing to check is to check and see if there are any loose power or ground connections leading from the battery to where the cables run and connect to or at the battery itself.This includes the power input cables at the fuse panels.If there is an issue found it will need corrected as a loose,damaged or corroded wire or connection will cause this here.

If this was already checked or is checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We checked the power terminal, and they seem to be ok. The battery gives 11.5v. We gave power directly to the starter and it cranked, but no start. What is interesting that there is no obd communication! I will clean, and replace the battery just in case. Any other suggestions? It's a 2009 subaru forester 2.5l 5speed!

The other issue I have seen is a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail before causing voltage loss to certain components in the past with the switch itself needing replaced.This should be tested and if found to be faulty it will need replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will test that tomorrow morning. Could it be the ignition switch even if all the dash lights come on? What else could it be? Any security relays? I tested the clutch switch which seems to be fine.

It can be the ignition switch as one or more of its contacts may have failed but some of the other contacts in it may be working o.k.I would have this checked/tested to see if this is the cause for sure.

If the ignition switch is o.k. this sounds like a loss of power or ground causing all of these issues and the fuse panel wiring as well as all power and ground leads will need checked to pinpoint and repair this.In some cases it can be difficult to pinpoint an electrical issue like this here without seeing the vehicle but the switch or a loose or disconnected or damaged power or ground sounds to be the cause.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete