john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

I have a 2013 legacy sedan, I have a class 2 tch installed

Customer Question

I have a 2013 legacy sedan, I have a class 2 hitch installed on it now, I have towed a 14 foot rowboat and 10 hp outboard (total weight with trailer about 500 lbs. I am looking at getting a better boat, package weight dry with trailer about 1100 lbs. Will be towing to local lakes, not more than*****in Minnesota.
I have read a lot about Subaru not recommending towing with a legacy sedan, but have seen 1000 lbs as being the limit if you do. Is it the transmission, frame, etc....what's the issue, I thought the sedan was basically the same car as the outback.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

the transmission can not handle the extra weight.. The suspension can be an issue also depending on tongue weight..and the brakes can get very hot causing brake fade and warped rotors people do it but its abusive to the car. I would strongly suggest a tow vehicle that is rated properly for what you plan to tow

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the prompt response, I know the general towing answers. That's not fully answering my question, to generic please be specific to this. Why does a outback have a significantly higher towing rating than the legacy sedan, my understanding is the transmission is the same, suspension is similar, and brakes...I was, I thought very specific in my question. Also, then what is your understanding of what the maximum towing rate of a 2013 legacy sedan?

the h6 has a greater tow capacity more horsepower different springs.. payload capacity has a lot to do with . different springs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2015 Subaru Outback VS 2015 Legacy Performance and Efficiency
When it comes to performance, you'll get the same powertrain and capability in both the 2015 Subaru Outback and 2015 Subaru Legacy. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder Boxer engine comes standard and this well-balanced and precision engineered vehicle offers an incredible 175 horsepower.Multiple sights say the power train and engine are the same....not sure on brakes...

the 6 cylinder version has a greater towing capacity...will it pull it yes ..is it good for your car no.. If hiway patrol or dot pull you over for being over weight they will not let the vehicle move until the trailer is unhooked.. its up t you if you want to chance it.. In good conscious I can not recommend it for your safety and the safety of others on the road

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still not satisfied, nothing personal. You answered my questions with generalities, not specifically. I do understand once again, basic towing laws and principals, I wasn't asking you about them. I want to know why the sedan is rated different than the wagon all things being equal, for one. Then you still havent answered my question of the towing capacity of the legacy sedan.