FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2002 Subaru Outback, manual shift. Left rear toe-in screwed

Customer Question

2002 Subaru Outback, manual shift. Left rear toe-in screwed up. Alignment guy told me the adjuster was frozen, way out of alignment. Had some guys, call em the brutal brothers, replace the adjuster bolt. This bolt and adjuster was not cam shaped, rather the small end of the lobe came to a point. Took it back and while much better still out of acceptable range, the alignment guy told me the brutal brothers had hammered the teeth flat so the point on the adjuster could not be used correctly. I am trying to find what part has these teeth on it as the brutal brothers are replacing my throw out bearing and fixing my exhaust so would like to get this done right while the have it up in the air. Could you tell me what part the alignment guy is referring to? goig to get one out of a junk yard.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

That should be the rear lateral link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With my luck there will be an inner and an outer, an upper and a lower, a front and a rear, lateral link for each wheel. Which one do I tell the junk yard I need pulled? Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

lower rear lateral link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Junkyard A tells me they do not know what a lateral link is, junkyard B tells me there is an upper lateral link but that what you think is a lower lateral link is actually the control arm as there is no lower lateral link on that Subaru. They removed and sold me a control arm but to me this looks like a camber adjustment on its inside bushing and not a toe in adjustment. The upshot is that I got a very nice exhaust Y pipe off the same vehicle. Is there a chance you could send me a photo or illustrated parts breakdown with this part on it so I can show it to the junkyard guys?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

hi,

here is what I have

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

hi

here is rear toe in

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Your picture does not reflect my car. My car has a one piece trailing arm/hub, the image has a trailing arm connected to the hub by a bushing.
http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.htmlTrying to put an image in here, not working of course. From Hanson Subaru but their image indicates the lateral link is what I call a control arm2002 Subaru Outback Parts - W/Outback- Fits Left/Right - 20176AE0202002 Subaru Outback Parts - W/Outback- Fits Left/Right - 20176AE020
Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.

HI,

ok, I need the 17 digit vin number then

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
4S3BH665926651859
Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.

HI,

I will have to opt out as I pull the same diagram and information going by the vin number. If another expert has the correct information, they will post it here

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well I am still looking for the name and hopefully a picture or illustration of the rear suspension part which adjusts the toe in
on a 2002 Subaru Legacy Outback. I need to take it to a junkyard so they will pull the right part for me to give it to a couple of backyard yahoos to install in my car. Subaru had two rear ends at that time, one has the hub attached to the trailing arm with a bushing, the other is one solid piece trailing arm/hub. That is what jumps out at you from looking at the IPB. Mine is the second type VIN4S3BH665926651859. I already have a lateral link, named such on the IPB, from my car which I would call a control arm. It is clearly made to adjust the camber, not the toe-in.