tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback Legacy 2.5 non-turbo with the 4

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback Legacy 2.5 non-turbo with the 4 speed automatic transmission approx 170K miles. It is shifting poorly on the 2-3 shift, after warming up and under significant rpm (3000+) it will slip, miss the gear, and bang directly into 4th hard. When it is cold, it will shift firm but not unlike other Subarus I've driven. If under 3000 RPM, it shifts a little firm but not at all that bad and has no problem going into 3rd gear. Downshifting there is never any problems.
I have access to a code scanner with relatively decent live data capabilities. When scanned it comes up with a P0037 (O2 sensor related) and P0731 Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio. I cleared the codes and drove it for a 50 mile round trip. The P0731 did not come back.
I've recently changed the transmission fluid (Subaru genuine) internal and external transmission filters, and insured the fluid is at the appropriate level. That did absolutely nothing to affect the problem at all.
Wondering if there could be any ideas besides a full transmission rebuild/replacement.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, let me tell you first I've been down this path but even further,tcm trans wiring harness and valve body to no avail I could not solve the problem,what was frustrating was the fact that it would not act up constantly,ultimately the customer bought a reman transmission and the problem was fixed.The car had roughly 130k with regular maintenance I'm suspecting you have the same situation