Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My 2012 Subaru Outback started to make a squealing noise,

Customer Question

My 2012 Subaru Outback started to make a squealing noise, lost power, then check engine, AT temp, and cruise lights all came on. Any thoughts?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Will it run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it ran about 1/4 mile till I had a safe spot to stop, then I pulled over, shut it down and had it towed home. But yes it was still running.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

this is a bit tricky because of the squealing noise. It sounds like it's possible something happened to the drive belt for the alternator and the battery lost power. This would kick on a bunch of lights and cause the engine to lose power. This is because the lower voltage makes the computers act off.

That being said, I would first look at the belt and the engine oil level. If both are fine, then I would suspect something happened to the timing belt or the water pump causing the timing to be off. If this happens the timing belt can slip and that would leave you in a no power situation and the check engine light would come on. The cruise is disabled as soon as the check engine light comes on, this is normal. The odd man out is the a/t temp light. This doesn't usually come on if the check engine light comes on, so this is my reason for thinking possible drive belt issue.

This is where I would start checking and the order as well.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JUst wanted to let you know, the CVT was in complete failure. When cold would actually run and accept a gear change, but as soon as it warmed up, would not go into any gear... There goes $7500 I didn't need to spend right now.... think I have purchased my last Subaru.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Very sorry to hear of this. I would contact Subaru of America at 1-800-Subaru3 and start a claim. They will likely cover the whole cost for you, or at least a partial. They are big on owner loyalty and I have done several repairs under warranty that should not have been.

Best of luck with them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah, got a big "Thank you for calling, but sorry we can't help you unless you want to be without your car for weeks, have it towed a hundred miles to a dealership, and then we will decide if we can help". I have checked, there are two of these transmissions available in the western US, and one is spoken for already. I can be without a car for weeks. So yeah, last Subaru for us, and the damned thing isn't even paid off yet. And I darned sure won't be recommending them to anyone else again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Certainly am sorry for all your woes, it's likely they would take care of it if you could be without the car.

The dealership you choose may have a loaner car for you to drive.

Remember I don't represent Subaru, I am mearley a Subie tech