tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have an 05 outback with a P0741 code. The 2-3 shift flares

Customer Question

I have an 05 outback with a P0741 code. The 2-3 shift flares a little bit as well. The transmission was swapped for a 130,000 mile used unit as the old transmission exhibited the same symptoms except for way worse.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the P0741 refers to a torque converter performance problem,the flow chart list many things to inspect but with the replacement of the transmission most thing are taken out of the equation.Was the torque converter replaced,how about the neutral switch that is mounted to the side of the transmission?One concern I've found that is related to transmission shifting is a faulty accelerator pedal ,the switch sometimes has a bad spot just like a throttle position sensor and causes codes and shifting concerns.Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a snap on solus scanner but it doesn't give me hardly any live data. I think the pedal position sensor diagnosis is good because the car tends to buck with the cruise control on and on flat ground. This was the same with both transmissions. We already swapped the throttle body out with another used unit and had the same results. Can you tell me which wires I need to ohm across to check the pedal for a dead spot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't messed with the neutral switch and the convertor was swapped along with the trans. Both were supposed to be good used units with 130k
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Using the scanner see if position is smooth to WOT,check Throttle voltage on scanner should be 4.6 volts at WOT,you can remove pedal and check resistance at pins 1 &6 it should be .75-3.15k ohms 2 and 6 should read .15-1.05k ohms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. I will report back after I check this stuff. Thanks
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Ok ,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Between 2 and 6 the pedal has a nice smooth resistance change from .55-1.82k. 1-6 is stuck at 1.62 and does not change no matter what. This makes me believe that is the problem. However, doesn't the pcm need to see both of these be somewhat even or it will go into a failsafe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also. I just adjusted it so the low end is at .28 on pins 2 and 6. This should give the pedal a better span as the top end is still 1.82
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

What type of voltage did you read on your scanner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scanner doesn't give me any in regards ***** ***** throttle position or the pedal. After adjusting the span to read the proper resiatances the pedal does nothing until it is about halfway down now.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Ok,the pedal seems to be the factor here,I agree that the ecm needs to see the values about the same so the throttle plate can be adjusted accordingly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I need to unhook the battery for the ecm to establish the new baseline correctly? I am surprised I am not getting a dtc for the pedal...
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

yes,you may not be getting a code because it is reading something

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to evaluate another pedal to see whether or not the resisitance between pins 1 and 6 does in fact change. It doesn't seem to me that the pedal should work if it needs to see both signals.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

O.k let me know.