tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

While driving in muddy conditions in my 2016 3.6R Outback I

Customer Question

While driving in muddy conditions in my 2016 3.6R Outback I got stuck when backing out of a fairly swallow muddy and very slippery area of a flat road. While in reverse and all wheels turning with some spinning in the mud I suddenly heard a gear grinding crunch noise and all wheels stopped turning. I tried several times to to back out by putting the CVT in drive and then back into reverse with the wheels initially starting to turn in reverse but then when they started to spin the gear grinding crunch noise returned and no wheel torque or power could be applied to the wheels. I had no problems going forward but I needed to backout of this area. I turned off the VDC and then backed out no problem. Is there a problem with the AWD system I have no indications or warnings and the car seems to be operating normal during highway driving?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I believe the grinding noise you heard was the ABS activating,this may have been happening because the VDC system will activate to try and give you the most traction,cutting engine power etc... if the ABS system was malfunctioning the warning lights would illuminate ,I believe what was happening was due to the conditions you were in and the system was working normally or as it should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I didn't consider the ABS as the source of the noise but that seems to make sense looking at the Outback manual and what other owners have reported on various forums. Thanks
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome have a great evening,please let me know if I could help you with anything else,thanks