Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I seem to have a short in the wiring to the third brake

Customer Question

I seem to have a short in the wiring to the third brake light on my 2005 LLBean Outback. I'm trying to troubleshoot, but I'm not sure how to get the spoiler off. Can you help?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.

Here is Subaru procedures

click Attachments below

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - There's no reason for me to remove ALL of the liftgate trim, correct?
2 - The procedure as noted on 337481cd-04c6-44be-9b2a-86cee5061ff2_spoiler1.png says "Remove the clips (A), and remove the rear gate pillar trim." How specifically are those clips removed? Do they just pull free? Which direction do they pull? Perpendicularly to the plane of the door? Towards the center of the door, perpendicularly away from the pillar? I'm trying not to break anything here....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree to start with, although I suspect that I'm going to have to remove the spoiler regardless. My third brake light does not operate when the liftgate is closed. It illuminates sporadically and randomly when the lift gate is being opened or closed. Is this most likely a wiring issue or is it likely to be a problem with the switch that senses the position of the liftgate. Is that switch co-located with the third brake light or is it elsewhere in the liftgate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have inspected the wiring in the transition between the vehicle and the liftgate and I do not find any indication of a short or open in the circuit.

sorry for the delay............thunder storms & no internet..

.

clips are removed by "carefully" prying up with panel tool or equal.........
I posted "complete" procedures on how to get the Spoiler off as you requested......
I do not believe in "short cuts" & that would be up to you to go that route
IF the 3rd Brake Light does not work "only" when the Liftgate is closed, that would tell me there is an issue with wiring, connection or Liftgate Switch

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI,
I was extremely disappointed with this interaction for the following reasons:
1) You advertise that you will only bill me if I am satisfied. Instead, I had to pay a deposit and you billed me as soon as you provided your first answer. I guess you actually bill if YOU are satisfied, regardless of how I might feel.
2) Your first answer was to basically provide information that I could (and already had) download elsewhere on the net. I'm not sure why I need to pay a mechanic to do that for me.
3) When I asked for deeper clarification, I felt like I got attitude and a lecture. If the section on removing trim had also included information on removing dashboard trim or the front grille, would have told me that I needed to remove that also to avoid "shortcutting" the procedure?I managed to solve most of my problems on my own. At this point, I will not return in the future and would not recommend this site.

1) I have no control over advertisements, as all I do is Answer Questions & I am NOT an Employee
2) IF you were able to find the info I posted, why did you not do that & let me know that you had that info, as I would have let someone else respond.
3) There was NO "attitude".....you wanted to "short cut", I advised against it
What you received was exactly what you asked for:
"I'm trying to troubleshoot, but I'm not sure how to get the spoiler off. Can you help? "

.

If the section on removing trim had also included information on removing dashboard trim or the front grille, would have told me that I needed to remove that also to avoid "shortcutting" the procedure?

.

That is an absurd response & sorry you have the wherewithall to even question my posting of Factory procedures

.

We know "nothing" of your mechanical or electronics background.
I provided Factory procedures & perhaps it may have been a little much.
Hope you got it done & you have located the issue

Thanks