Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

When the tack stops working the transmission shifts funny on

Customer Question

hello, when the tack stops working the transmission shifts funny on my 07 outback wagon 2.5i
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is because the transmission control module has nothing to compare the engine speed with. Essentially the computer has no idea how many rpms the engine is running so it's confused. This will cause the transmission to shift funny. It sounds like you have an issue with the instrument panel computer on the car. Unless you have a code for a bad cam position sensor I would say you will likely need a new instrument panel to resolve the issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!