FiestaEAC
FiestaEAC, Subaru Technician
Experience:  UK Ford, MG Rover Mechanic with experience in all EU makes, especially diesels
19517166

My Subaru Forester 2003 ignition lock is loose entire

Customer Question

Hi my Subaru Forester 2003 ignition lock is loose entire assembly loose sometime I have reach out to pull the system so that I can put my keys how do I fix it ... But it works fine just that its loose
Category: Subaru
Expert:  FiestaEAC replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to justanswer.

This sounds like the lock tab on the barrel has failed, or the housing in which the barrel sits has failed.

When you lift out the barrel assembly have a look at the side facing you. You should see a small round 'button'. This button should be spring loaded and will pop up and down under finger pressure. If this button is jammed in the down position, then this is the cause of your problem and the barrel assembly needs to be replaced.

If the button does move ok, then the housing in which the barrel sits is unservicable. This is a shroud that fits around your steering coloumn, behind the steering wheel. This housing will need drilling off as it is secured using security bolts.

Thanks, Bob

Expert:  FiestaEAC replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any success with this?