tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 2008 Legacy. The open trunk lever next to the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Legacy. The open trunk lever next to the driver's seat no longer opens the trunk. The emergency lever inside the trunk doesn't work either. The only way I can open the trunk is with the remote key fob. There is no key hole in the trunk to open it physically from the outside.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, on the trunk lock latch there is a cancel lever that will not allow operation from the trunk release inside the car ,look at the face of the latch and check it's position if it's selected to cancel move the lever the opposite way to allow the release to operate,check it out and let me know,thanks for your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No switch that I can see on the latch. Attached is a picture of the latch.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,I'm sorry I may have been thinking of the earlier model legacy,on your vehicle there is a key lock on the floor can you turn your key in it this will release the latch if it has been disabled,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lever isn't locked. I can pull the lever up but nothing happens. I have a feeling something is broken because the lever that's inside the trunk (to release someone stuck inside) doesn't work either. The only thing that works is the key fob remote.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

I understand,to inspect if the cable is broken have a helper pull the release while you watch to see if the cable is moving .