Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Our battery shorted to the car when a stereo fuse assembly

Customer Question

Our battery shorted to the car when a stereo fuse assembly came apart. Gauges started jumping erratically while driving. Pulled over and saw what was going on and removed the fuse assembly. Now the gas gauge is fluctuating, speedo jumping all over and temp gauge rising and falling. Does seem to do it more when engine is revved. 2001 forester
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

I would start by checking the small negative cable to make sure it's still connected to the body and didn't melt. Then, have the alternator and battery tested. Most parts stores will do this for you at no charge. If the alternator shorted you will have this kind of issue. If all is well in that area, then it's possible it damaged the circuits to the instrument cluster. Seems most likely it either burned off the negative cable or burned up the alternator.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!