Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I changed the battery on my 2001 UK Subaru Impreza (classic

Customer Question

Hi Mike,
I changed the battery on my 2001 UK Subaru Impreza (classic shape rather than the bug eye). The car won't start after the change but it does crank. I can hear the fuel pump whirring when I turn the key and new spark plugs were installed 3 months ago. I have checked the fuses under the steering wheel and in the engine bay and none of them seem to have blown. The car has recently been in an accident was a total loss. I just got the car back last week and repaired it today (only bodywork was damaged). The old battery had completely drained while the insurance company had the car because damage to the driver door was keeping the interior lights on. When the car was delivered the deliverer gave me a jump start so I could park it up and it started first time so I wasn't anticipating any problems with a new battery.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated
Regards
Craig
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for saying "Hi Mike" if you're name isn't Mike. The just answer website implied that I was going to be asking a person named Mike
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,replacing the battery should not cause this no start,because the fuel pump is running we can assume that the computer was not harmed,we also can assume that nothing else was harmed electrically.What's next is finding out if we have spark and fuel, remove a spark plug attach it to the wire,ground the plug againstmetal on the engine and crank over to see if it's sparking,fuel can be tested by removing feed line from intake,placing fuel line in a safety container and cranking over,let me know the results so we can continue ,thanks