Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My ac compressor seized and blew the belt. Now none of the

Customer Question

My ac compressor seized and blew the belt. Now none of the fans are working or the rear defroster. I've checked the fuses and they are ok. It's almost winter so I thought inwoukd wait until spring to fix the compressor but I need the defroster and heat to work! Could it be the relays?
Bruce
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Do you mean the fans out at the radiator are not working or the blower inside the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower inside. I have no heater or defroster.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you have a test light or volt meter so we can do some testing?

What number fuses did you check? Inside the car or under the hood and finally,

Auto climate control or manual climate control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a voltmeter. I checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood and nothing's blown. Manual climate control
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I need to have you check the wiring at the blower motor. Should have power on the brown wire and the black/yellow stripped wire with the wiring plugged in and the fan switch on 0, then when you switch the fan speed to any speed, you should see a voltage drop on the black/yellow wire.

Please check this and let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower motor is under the glove box right? I have a brown/black wire and a purple/black wire attached at the bottom of the fan. There is no voltage there.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is under the glove box, I am in the US so maybe my wiring diagram is different then what you actually have on yours. Seems odd. I am sending a diagram of the connector that might give us some clarity for testing.

When you checked the fuses, did you check them for power or just look to make sure they weren't popped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked they were not blown
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, looks like #17, #1 and #2 all need to be checked for power with the key on. These are the power source for the blower relay so I would like to know they are actually powering up when you turn the ignition on. It's much easier to check these then the blower relay which is not very easy to access in comparison.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
17 is the seat warmer and it has power, 2 is empty and 1 has no power and it is "r fog/c fan/trail" 27 and 28 are both "blower" and have no power too
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, of course I am showing different numbers for the fuses, but I think you need to back up and go back to the fuse box under the hood and look for a blown fusible link. These should be labeled as SBF on the box cover. Square with clear tops, look into them and see if any are blown. It's the likely culprit that feeds the fuses for your rear defrost and your blower motor.

Sometimes they won't look burned, so it's best to take a flashlight and look at them, then push them side to side to see if they open. Been fooled a couple times by them. I will continue to look at my wiring diagram to see if I can come up with the specific link for you to check in the meantime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the sbf's are ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am sorry, but I am going to bow out and open this up for the other experts.

First, I don't have the correct wiring diagram to try and figure out what is going on, second it's quite late here.

Please don't reply,it will lock the question back to me and the other experts won't see it.