Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

The coolant temperature gh warning light keeps coming on

Customer Question

The coolant temperature high warning light keeps coming on with evidence of overheating (smell). Thermostat has been replaced and radiator has been checked for leaks. Any suggestions?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

Is the car losing coolant as well? Does the car have a gauge as well as the light that is indicating the temp is high?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not much loss if at all. It only has a light.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

I think the next step if the cooling system has been pressure tested is going to be to use a scan tool to see what the actual temp is. You may have a coolant temp sensor malfunctioning. This would explain the light without any coolant actually boiling out. Also, check and make sure that both the fans are coming on. If not, it may be a fan issue causing the engine to get hot.

I am sorry for the delay in my response, had a small family emergency to deal with.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure how payment works but I wii rate you if that helps. I think there is some genuine overheating due to the associated smell. I didn't realize there were two fans. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

A quick test for the fans is to turn on your A/C, both fans should kick on when the compressor kicks on. As for pay, the site takes your money and holds it in your account. I get paid when you click on one of the rating icons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

So please be sure to let me know how it goes.