tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 06 impreza 2.5i and i just replaced the motor with

Customer Question

i have a 06 impreza 2.5i and i just replaced the motor with a junkyard motor, did the timing belt ,tensioner and pulleys , rocker cover gaskets and plugs.I did a start up and noticed the plug wires 1 and 3 were inverted so i put them back in the right place started the motor. and it runs great no weird noises at 2500 rpm sounds as it should. checked for code and threw a misfire in cylinder 3thought nothing of it seeing as the plug wires weren't in the right location the first time i started. threw coolant in and burped the system, when it got to operating temp the idle was getting really rough at about 500/750,shortly after while burping the system the misfire in cylinder 3 showed up.
now im wondering what could be the cause of the missfire and possibly the low idle when at operating temp.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,since all typical things were purchased I'd start with the coil and wires,we do see head gasket leaks and exhaust valve guides becoming loose holding valves open.When you begin diagnosing inspect the coil towers and wire ends in #3 cylinder for signs of carbon tracking,this will identify the source of the misfire so you won't need to look further if this is found.The low idle could be attributed to the misfire but I would start with relearning the idle by idling for 10 minuets with no loads then 5 minuets with a/c on this will relearn the idle,thanks