Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

2003 forester idle is too low sometimes

Customer Question

2003 forester idle is too low sometimes
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

That could be an idle air control problem or just dirt in the air passages in the throttle body.

……..

However,

You will want to do a throttle body cleaning on it to make sure that all of the idle air passages are clear of any carbon build up.

.

You can pick up a can of “throttle body cleaner” just about anywhere auto parts are sold.

.

You can normally follow the directions on the can but I always spray some in the intake while the throttle plate is closed to be sure that it gets into all of the passages. You don’t want to use carb cleaner though, as it’s not safe for the 02 sensors.

..

Also, you want to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks and that the intake air hose is on good and free of any cracks.

.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

.

.