tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

2011 subaru outback, when driving the car will periodically

Customer Question

2011 subaru outback, when driving the car will periodically hesitate,let out a squeak and the engine briefly revs up.The engine immediately resumes running normal until the next time. The frequency or the time between occurrences is becoming less the further the car is driven.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,do you know when this happens if the a/c or defroster is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the AV or defrost is not on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the ac iis not on all the times this happens
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,the reason I mentioned the a/c was because if the compressor was malfunctioning it can cause the problem you described.A wheel bearing makes a constant noise so I'm somewhat surprised the mechanic thought it would be the noise. How many miles and how long has this been happening,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car has approx. 109,000 miles. We just had the timing belt and water pump replaced. This has been happening for the last three months. The mechanic thought it was a wheel bearing and replaced one of the rear ones but we still get the squeak. It seems like something is slipping. You can feel when the engine revs under your foot. You can be traveling at a constant speed then all of a sudden you feel it rev for a split second, then you hear the squeak. We drove approx. 45 miles tonight and it happened eight or nine times.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I didn't ask this sooner but is this a automatic CVT or standard shift.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

This could be a transmission concern,if the trans is slipping you can have these symptoms.The squeak can be from the CVT chain slipping,then the slip which would cause the engine to rev

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that's the issue, how much would something like that run on average?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

The transmission cannot be repaired if internal components are needed a factory rebuild is available for about $3500 plus install labor of approximately 8 hours so about $4400-5000 total