Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 subaru wrx replaced the up pipe then when put back

Customer Question

2002 subaru wrx replaced the up pipe then when put back together oil was getting in the turbo ?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

Is the oil getting into the turbo on the fresh air side or the exhaust side and is it because of a faulty rotor bearing seal?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seemed to be getting in both sides. It was pouring milkshake out of the exhaust and making a gurgling sound in the intake filter. We rebuilt the turbo to try to fix the problem but it didn't work.

While you have the turbo off, did you pressure test it to verify the seals are not leaking from rotor bearings and shaft bore wear.

Have you verified the PCV system is working correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not check the PCV or do a pressure test. When I rebuilt the turbo I replaced the seals, bearings, and the turbine shaft as well. When we put the turbo back in the car, it was really pouring a huge amount of oil and coolant out the exhaust pipe as well as white smoke. Would the PCV really cause that to happen?

A PCV system stuck open or being overwhelmed from high crank case pressure can cause the oil usage but neither the turbo nor PCV can cause coolant loss. Can you run a compression test to check the head and gasket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We ran a compression test just now. Cyl. 1 was 153, Cyl. 2 was 150, Cyl. 3 was 160, and Cyl. 4 was 152
I also noticed though that only the spark plug in Cyl. 1 had some brown (almost like burnt looking?) on the white ceramic insulator. Not sure if that means anything. They were replaced about this time last year.

Compression is fine. How much coolant are you going through? Is there a coolant and oil mixing issue? With the oil cap off while running is there alot of air blowing out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It went through quite a bit. The overflow had been really full(almost to the cap full, above the "Full" mark and now is right at the "Low" mark on the overflow reservoir and the expansion tank is only half full. It also drained like 3 qts of oil. And they oil/coolant is mixing somewhere and coming out of the exhaust pipe.
We started up the car and had the oil filler cap off and did feel air blowing out of it.

Can you remove the oil cooler, and pressure test it to see if it has failed allowing coolant to get into the oil. So far this is looking like a possible internal engine failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think coolent is getting in the oil we changed it after the first time and there was no sign of coolent-water mixing with oil. filter-oil-dipstick all were clean. even now the oil on the dipstick is clean. but very little oil left on dipstick

With the oil cap off the air blowing out is it like whistling soft or trying to blow out B day candles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blowing out soft

So your losing oil into the engine and coolant into the engine and its being burnt off in the combustion chamber because there are no external leaks and no cross contamination of the fluids. You have ruled out the turbo and now ruled out compression blow by. That only leaves an issue with the head based on all these tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean wouldnt the compression be bad if the head was warped all this trouble for fixing the up pipe ?

You can have a crack in the head allowing oil and coolant to get into the intake valve port without effecting compression. I can not figure out any other part to cause all the issues you mentioned.

I hate that you came here wanting and paying for help and appears to me you left not happy, and found my assistance not worth rating. I am still here to help if the problem is your needing more assistance on this concern.

Chris