Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have a 96 legacy with a 2.2 boxer motor ..the motor starts

Customer Question

i have a 96 legacy with a 2.2 boxer motor ..the motor starts fine ...but has absolutly no power ..if you floor it it fall right on its face ..if you give it just a little gas it will go but will not rev up ...in park it will rev but ..slowly ...to drive it ..you can just barley touch the gas to move but it wont go over 40 or 45 tops ..
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Pull the front O2 sensor out of the catalytic converter and see if the car runs better. If the substrate is broken up and blocking the exhaust it will run fine at idle, but have a lot of trouble under load. Removing the sensor opens up a hole for the exhaust so if it's blocked it will run better and have more power.

If it does, then the converter s the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!