Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have a 2015 sti with a p2029 code. Ocv solenoid "a" bank 2

Customer Question

I have a 2015 sti with a p2029 code. Ocv solenoid "a" bank 2 circuit open. Which solenoid is "A"? Intake or exhaust. Also what could be causing a circuit open code?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, could you please clarify the code I cannot find this code in my data base,also does the car have any mods?I have some more questions but this should get us started,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mods I have are accessport and turbo back exhaust. The code from the ap is p202 ocv solenoid valve signal a circuit open bank 2. Sorry I typed it wrong on the original post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P2092
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,P2092 is bank 2 intake oil control low input,in most cases the valve is the cause,other causes are low oil level,incorrect cam belt installation or clogged oil passages,there is also a possibility the intake gear is the fault.For starters which side did you replace driver or passenger,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the drivers side intake solenoid and the code came back again right after. Brand new part from subaru and didn't do anything. I wanted to check everything before I take the car in for work. Don't really wanna have to take off the parts to go back to stock so I don't get my warranty voided
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Just to be clear, the valve replaced is the one on top of the valve cover, blue connector,10mm bolt holding it in, about 6 inches long

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup. Right over the oil filler neck
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Ok,great .The cause most likely is incorrect cam timing(belt off a tooth)clooged oil feed to the solenoid or the gear itself.Are you still in warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it ok to drive for a couple days while I get some time to take the mods off? I don't beat on the car and haven't had it see boost since the cell came on
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Your going to need to get it back to stock,you can do this with your access port right?To correctly diagnose this we will need a snapshot of how these valves are operating through the ecm to determine the cause, dealer has equipment to diagnose it's tough to determine without being able to view data.

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust just the tune,it's o.k to drive as long as its not running to bad,the C.E.L hasn't flashed has it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The cel is just on. Car isn't in limp mode. It runs just as it did before the light. There's no drivability issues that I can tell
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

sounds safe to drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The banjo bolt on top of the solenoid. Does that have a screen where something could get trapped? I was going to take it off and check it but theres a heat shield in the way right on top of the bolt. Could that be a cause? Also I'm just about due for an oil change anyway, could viscosity of the oil itself be a factor?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

No filter in that banjo bolt,there is a filter in back of the head that feeds both the turbo bearing and valve usually if its clogged the turbo will go first,oil level and viscosity could be a cause .