Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an ASE tech
7276279

I have a 1991 subaru legacy automatic sedan. On occasion

Customer Question

I have a 1991 subaru legacy automatic sedan. On occasion when I make a sharp turn (in either direction) it feels as though the gears are binding up in the front. There is no negative sound associated.To go with this feeling, the cars ability to roll in drive un-assisted with acceleration is prohibited after the turn is completed. After these symptoms arise, the car lurches forward when I tun it off (in park of course). Front end tie rods recently replaced. The car just turned over 100k, in great shape. front end differential is good on fluid. Visual inspection of the cvu boots are good. Transmission is good on fluid, however I have noticed that is clunks a little harder from 2nd to 3rd recently as well.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing sound very much like you have a bad drive axle binding up on turns. I would start with getting the car up off of the ground and try to duplicate it with the ires turning and see if you can determine which side is binding. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to Les Schwabs and had them take a look at everything, they could find nothing wrong with the drive axle. One thing I did notice is that my mileage is going way down. I was averaging around 24-26 miles per gallon and now I am around 20. Im worried that something is heading to a big break.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

When the checked it did the bother to go out for a ride with you and let you show them the problem? This really should not be that hard to figure out if they can get the problem to occur.