Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
25319281

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback and I have a situation where

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback and I have a situation where the car runs fine, but at idle it feels like there is a vibration particularly when my foot is on the brake. It is consistent and seems to come and go almost like it sounds like the car is revving
up, but it's not. I've also noticed if I take my foot off the brake it seems to subside. A mechanic I took it to thinks that it is a torque load vibration they replaced the lower transmission mount. It still vibrates. Do you have any idea what is going on?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brake pedal.
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

Try to apply the emergency brake, with foot barely on brake pedal and see if it still vibrates. Tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still vibrates. It seems to be much more noticeable with the a/c running.
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

Its sounds like the ideal is to low, the throttle plates get plugged up with carbon and will lower the idle slightly, so the throttle plate needs to be cleaned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic tried this prior to the transmission mount being replaced. The engine motor mounts were also checked. Full fuel induction service was performed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still vibrated after all of that. Very frustrating!
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

A fuel induction cleaning will not clean the throttle plates, if the throttle plates have not been cleaned, it should be the next thing done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic says they were cleaned-twice!
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

Has any other work been done to the vehicle? Axel shaft replacement, flywheel replacement, list any types of repair the vehicle may have had before this problem started.