tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Tamaz, I have a 1999 impreza outback sport 2.2 auto awd. I

Customer Question

tamaz, I have a 1999 impreza outback sport 2.2 auto awd. I bought it used with 260k on it. it has an erratic idle. it trys to bog when you give it the gas. if you rev it from outside the car under the hood at the throttle it will rev...and I mean howl. it doesn't use oil or water and there are no drips under it. there does not appear to be steam out the exhaust and the radiator fan cycles properly the car does not overheat. I have driven it but have started replacing parts that I think could be the culprit. first thing I did was put oem coil and wires and new ngk plugs. that did not helps so I cleaned the iac valve. it appeared to be defective so I replace the entire throttle body with one from a 100k mile car. still have same problem. I also put a new knock sensor on it. I have not messed with the fuel filter or pump because it revs great and only stumbles under 2k rpm. this is not a maf car. it is a map car. haven't changed it out. there is a three wire sensor on the passenger side strut tower that gets hot very quckly...I do not know what that part controls. I have a couple of vehicles to drive but would very much like to figure this one out...I am stumped!
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to leave the library in ten minutes...sorry I should have mentioned that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to have to leave soon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my time is up in 15 min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got to go...if anyone figures it out text me at(###) ###-#### *****!
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Once started are there any more bogging down issues or ever does idle poor while driving or only at stops?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the last info I sent? I don't see it anywhere on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is rough at idle. Can not be driven now. Works fine after 2k rpm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like I have wasted my time and money here. I am reasonably proficient at diagnosing and repairing my vehicles. I used this service as a last resort. Feel like I wasted time and money here!

My first suggestion is to monitor the fuel pressure to see if its low, next is monitoring the air fuel ratio with a scan tool to see if its running lean or rich. After that is to inspect the EGR system to see if its stuck open. Have you or can you check those?

-----------PLEASE READ THIS------------

1. First of all, thanks for using Just Answer, and Thanks for letting me try to help you.

2. Sorry about the wait, we try our best to get to everyone fast.

3. Do not mistake the above or following posts from me as my last one. We can ask each other many questions, and I can post many answers.

4. I base my response on what you tell me, I am not there to see, smell, or hear, so please factor that in.

5. On your screen you see a rating. That is how I'm paid from your deposit for helping you. I am going to keep checking in on you to make sure your pleased with my help. Let me know if your planning to rate at a later date if not now.

6. If you decide to rate BAD it doesn't result in a refund, please respond first so I can help more.

7. I'm here normally 3pm-3am central everyday. Thanks again, Chris (aka-Moose)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scan tool and can monitor air fuel ratio. I have good fuel pressure. Will check the egr system. After changing the entire throttle body essentially eliminating the map,tps and IAC as the potential problems I am left wondering about that electronic component on the passenger side strut tower. It gets hot really fast. Any opinions on that part?

I would need a picture of the part you are referring to as well as the wire colors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send you those tomorrow... too dark now.

Super

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't get the PUC today. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wire colors are; black,yellow with black stripe green and light orange
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a pic

I can not find a diagram showing that part in the power distribution nor engine controls. Would you like to get back on the waiting list and try another tech.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to double check I pulled the fuel pump assembly. Apparently its been changed at some point the sock looks practically new. Filter doesn't have any particulates wash out so I am pretty sure it's fine. Used the scan tool and the a/f statmys pretty close to stochio. I am really at a loss here. And that part I sent a pic of hwts exceedingly hot as soon as the car is started. Thanks if you are done with this I guess throw me back out there to see if someone else can help. Doni have to pay again?

Opting out now, best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the next guy going to be able to see everything I have posted or am I going to have to start again?

They will pick up where we left off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyone going to try to help here?

Apparently there are no others that want to try and help on this concern other than myself. I have seen your post on the open list everyday, and I assume many others have looked at as well. When you reply it puts you back on my waiting list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never have gotten any help. Car I'd running but is very erratic. Sometimes idles high...sometimes low. Once you get into the road moving around 2k rpm it will speed up like normal. I have run the scan to and am currently getting a p1407. Haven't looked that up yet. Any ideas?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,P1407 is not a listed code, I'm thinking with your idling concern the code may be P1507 which is a idle control malfunction.What I see with this code a lot with this code is a malfunctioning charging system, please check battery and alternator for proper operation before we go further, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alternator and battery are 100% no corrosion no poor connections. And yes I typed 2407 but should have typed 1507.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,standard or auto transmission?I would also like for you to inspect bulk engine harness connectors that are located between engine and trans on passenger side all ecm grounds run through these connectors and poor pin fit occurs quite often here,try manipulating the connectors and and harness while it is idling to see if anything changes,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the wiring harness. This car was not in the mountains or the beach or up north. There is no rust in this car. Very rare for a Subaru of this vintage. It is an automatic. Did you look at the image of that sensor I have earlier in the responses? It is on the passenger shock tower facing the front of the car. It gets very hot quickly. Thanks
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,that sensor is actually a resistor used to control the transmission valve body,it does get hot,so that's normal no worries .Check the harness and let me know if there is any difference,thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stupid me...the 1507 code was from not having the negative battery cable tight...I had been taking them off to clear the computer (before I found my scan tool). Running pretty good with no codes. ABS light us on but it has been coming on occasionally. It still idles pretty low (660ish) when I turn in the a/c it jumps up to around 850. It runs pretty good. I put a can of sea foam in the yank with around 5 gallons if gas. Will see if it smooths out. I also cleaned the idle air control valve out...it was pretty nasty.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Idle isn't that far off maybe 700-750 without a/c,adjust the accelerator cables I bet there is a little slop to the cable causing low idle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable was a little tight so I backed it off a bit. The adjustment on the throttle stop is actually rum in a little more than factory. I am going to run it a few days with the seafoam and see if it gets smoother. Thanks
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

No problem ,good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove it this evening and no codes even the abs light has gone off. It still has a low lopey idle and sometimes when you pull to a stop it feels like t will shut off . I t don't though.
What is unusual is there are no codes. So it's running rough and the exhaust is very hot.
The exhaust is exceedingly hot. No Water vapor clouds showing either.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,try the relearn procedure for the idle ,because the battery has been disconnected so any times it probably will help,it's very easy run car at idle 10 minuets with no loads (lights,radio,etc...)then 5 minuets with a/c on.Try this and let me know, thanks.