Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

98 outback ....battery will not stay charged, new battery,

Customer Question

98 outback ....battery will not stay charged , new battery, starter checked ok alt check ok I replace the left side fog light on a sunday no problem replaced the right side turn signal/parking light housing and buld on tuesday next day starting having trouble all lights and dash lights on but get nothing will turn over if I keep trying I believe its a bad ground connection I don't know a lot about cars , this is my guess
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was going to pull fuse for the two lights (flood and parking) overnight to see if that stops the drain on the battery but cant find them and this is the 2nd battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please help lol I have spent so much (time, money, even my mech doesn't want to see it again lol ) on fixing this car, I just need it running and by the way runs great once it starts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

When you say it won't turn over, does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Also, when the battery is connected, do the parking lights flash or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no crank at all, it does nothing (just get dash lights and basically everything else headlight radio ect working when I turnthe key) of course I have all them off now before I try starting it... and the parking lights are working, flashers working, turn signal working when the battery is connected they all work fine I got the ground wire idea from a person on the Subaru forum that person sounded like he was having the same trouble my mech checked starter and alt both ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

So you don't hear a click or anything when you turn the key?
Is the car automatic or manual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic and thats correct no click I hear nothing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

This sounds more like an issue with the inhibitor switch on the side of the transmission then a dead battery. If it's not making contact then you get nothing. I would try wiggling the shifter and even putting it into neutral.

Please try this and let me know.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks but I took it to the shop this morning, a Subaru service center I was thinking park switch same diff im guessing. I found some more info on Subaru forum that was leading in that direction. thanks again for ur time and expertise. I like the fact you didn't jump to a conclusion and that you took the time to keep asking me for more info before give me your answer, would highly recommend to others, but ive come to expect that kind of service over the years from the Subaru family
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. It is the same part :) Hopefully it will permanently solve the problem for you.