Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Ok. I can't seem to find the right answer noise. I have a 05

Customer Question

Ok. I can't seem to find the right answer for my noise. I have a 05 subaru outback. I have a noise from the front end. Only the driver can hear/feel it and it can only be felt in the gas peddle. The noise is only present under load at 45mph and higher. It's a thumping/deap grown noise and the grown gets louder when I pull hills. I have already changed the wheel bearing and ball joint. Everything else has checked out fine. The noise is only present driving straight. Of course I can't take a corner at 45 so I guess it could be present then too. Lol
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

What do you mean everything else checks out fine?

Suspension, axles, mounts?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
axcle and mounts. The suspension has slight play but a patently not a concern. They think it's a sheild rattling but it's not. Tightened them down noise is still there.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

This might seem stupid, but look at the air filter box and make sure the bottom is closed. Sometimes I see where the bottom of the box isn't closed and it will actually do this. I know it sounds silly, but could you look and make sure please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope not silly. Lol. It is all closed though.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you only knew how many times :)

Ok, has anyone checked the pitching stopper on the back of the engine? This is the mount that goes from the firewall to the engine. If it's loose it might do this to you.

Otherwise we might be looking at a possible front differential issue. I have had a few that made odd sounds when the pinion bearing was failing on the automatics. If so, then you could drain the gear oil in the diff and see if there are any metal flakes in it. Not on the drain plug magnet, but in the oil. When you hold it up to sunlight it will glimmer like glitter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they haven't checked that. I will see if I can get someone to look at it tomorrow. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. Hopefully it's the pitching stopper and not the front diff!

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.