tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza that had some water get inside

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza that had some water get inside the vehicl.e when I turn the key on the starter will not engage I have jumped the starter directly and it does turn the motor over there's no power to the small wire when I turn the key over all the fuses seem to be good I'm kind of stuck trying to figure this out. Any help would be much appreciated
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,can you tell me how much water was in the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was up to dash in water all fluids have been changed ect and are good:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also no Spark with ignition on and jumping starter wire
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,in this case I would suspect checking all wiring out of the ignition switch harness I suspect you'll find some corrosion,in fact you may find quite a bit of corrosion.Because this vehicle was flooded I suggest you call your insurance company,most times vehciles that have that much water intrusion are considered a total loss because the wiring harnesses hold that water in and creates long term problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it from an insurance company as a flood car
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

O.k ,w need to start by removing drivers kick panels and get a good look at the wiring out of the ignition switch,fuse box and major connectors going out to the engine.How much more do you know about the car did it run after the flood at all has anything been replaced that you know of besides the fluids.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All connection seems to look fine when I take them apart I did pull the computer out under the passenger floorboard pulled the motherboard out and noticed corrosion all over it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing been touched on the car I bought it at Auction from an insurance company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I order a used one is there any programming and needs to be done to pair it with a car
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Yes,the VIN needs to be encoded to the new ECM.I would also check the body control module found on the drivers side under dash and the transmission control module because theses may have taken in water also,the body control module id the gateway module for communication so its very important,the TCM is mounted just to the left of the brake pedal the body control is to the right of the steering column.The body control has the immobilizer unit (security) built in so this would need to be programmed also if needed,thanks