john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

2006 STi with way too many modifications to list. 49,000

Customer Question

2006 STi with way too many modifications to list. 49,000 miles. Previous owner did autocross. Just replaced front axles 500 miles ago since the CV boots were cracked and spraying gease. Refilled tranny with Mobil 1 75W-90 LS and same fluid when i changed the rear differential fluid at the same time. When turning slowly to the right or when backing into a parking spot there is a clunking, popping sound and binding. If I back up and let off the gas the binding will bring the car to stop. Give it gas and a violent pop noise will get it moving again.
I've read about center differential but also maybe sensors could be bad. PLEASE help! I don't want to spend the money on the center diff if it could possibly be something simple and not replace a part that's not broken
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

Have you had it checked out? have all the fluids and the axles and drive shaft been checked?