Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2009 Su. Forester X. I have headlights and brake lights but

Customer Question

2009 Su. Forester X. I have headlights and brake lights but no tail light. Have gauge lights but no lights on the dash radio and climate. I have no "rocker switch" on the column. Any ideas?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

What do you mean you have no rocker on the column?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the park light switch on top of the column. I have gauge lights but no radio or climate control lights.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you have a test light for checking the fuses? We need to check for power at the fuses and not just that they are good.

Please let me know when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a test light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, please check that fuses 14 and 16 in the fuse box inside the car get power with the lights on and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I tested the 14 and 16 fuse... there is no power to them
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, there is no rocker switch at all on the steering column? I am showing it in the wiring diagram so I want to be sure. The switch usually looks like a typical hazard switch, but the hazard switch is over by the radio with a triangle on it. I know you just got the car which is why I am asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope no switch on the column at all
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, trying to work this out over 6 different wiring diagrams!!

Please hang in there while I work out some testing.

Do the parking lights in the front work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No park lights or dash lighting. The high beam lights are really dim to the point you can't see them while sitting in the car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

The front parking lights are on a separate circuit which is why I was wondering if they are working.

You also have headlight issues? Are the low beams fine? Also, halogen or Xenon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Low beams work fine regular halogens. There was a "lighting" fuse blown in the engine bay but no change once replaced
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Please check fuse 16 and fuse 7 in the box under the hood, would like to know which number you had to replace under there.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Have to step out for a bit, please let me know what you find and I will return and continue on this with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I replaced the fuse under the hood says lighting not exactly sure what number it is with no change pulled the Cover off of the column and wiggled some wires now everything work dash lights high/low beam park lights and all. So I guess I'll spend some time cleaning connections and tightening wires down. I would think it's weird to have a major wiring issue with a car with only 45,000 miles on it.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Actually I was suspecting someone installed the wrong headlight bulbs on the car.

Clean the multi function switch contacts. This switch provides the ground signals to the body control module. This in turn supplies the signals and voltages to the wires.

Only thing I can't account for is the fact that there was power on the fuses I had you check inside the car, yet the tails and interior weren't coming on.