George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

My wife puts key in 07 outback ... it doesn't start ... then

Customer Question

My wife puts key in 07 outback ... it doesn't start ... then flips key over and it starts...what's wrong?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If she removes the key and inserts it the same way it will not start on the second try?

This is the factory key not a replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not start same way...but when taken out flipped over it did start...original key...could it need a new battery?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The key has an RFID chip in it that is read by a coil antenna around the key lock cylinder. That chip is on one side of the key but the antenna goes all the way around and should be read either way.

If she inserts the key the way it will start the second time on the first try will it start on the first time?

Do you have a second key?

If you do does this happen for both keys?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tonight I will try secone key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second key
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me know what happens, it should not be the battery in the transponder but if the second key works and she has only used the one key then try a battery in the key that is giving you trouble.

Let me know if you have the same issue with the second key but I don't think you will.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried both keys both ways and the car started all 4 times so now it is "okay"
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I think it is in the key then. Have her use the other key for a few days and see if it acts up again. You can save the "normal" key for backup if it works consistantly.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you