tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

We bought a 2015 Outback 3.5 earlier this year and have

Customer Question

Hi! We bought a 2015 Outback 3.5 earlier this year and have about 10k miles on the odometer. We've had the car in for a dead battery - really dead, needed to be replaced - sudden death too. Running fine then dead. But the most troubling problem is not as easy to solve. We have been in three times for check engine/warning lights coming on. Thought it was a gas cap at first but this time it's definitely not that. Plus, after driving for a short while and stopping, the engine ticks as though it's hot - even though the temperature gauge does not move out of normal range. I've been reading online and it seems like others are having similar problems. Does this sound familiar?
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also noticed that my coolant level is down to 'low' - maybe this caused the lights to come on? I thought the coolant was supposed to be good for 11 years! Oh, well...
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,the check engine lamp concerns you are having have they been resolved?The engine ticking noise ,is it affecting the way the vehicle performs or starts dos it get louder as you drive or do you just hear it when stopped,the last question is when are you checking the coolant level colds or warm ,thanks for your time I'll await your reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only hear the ticking noise when the is stopped. I don't hear it at all when I'm driving. Plus the temperature gauge is where it always is. I visually checked the coolant level after the car had been sitting in the garage for about an hour.,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of this appears to affect the performance of the car while driving.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,if the coolant level shows low when warm it will probably need a 1/2 pint or less to fill to full no worries here ,the dealer should at least pressure test the system to see if there are any leaks for you.The engine you have is a chain driven motor and there are many noises they make compared to the belt driven engines,if oil level is full and clean I would safely say that the noises you hear are normal based on the information given.The 6 cylinder engine you have is a very reliable engine I have seen many over 200k properly maintained of course.Is the check engine light issued resolved and do you recall what codes the codes were?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the check engine light is still on. I haven't driven it since this morning. I don't know how to find the codes but the Cruise Control and anti-slip indicators were flashing as well. And the 'Brake' light came on briefly and then went off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil looks clean and is about halfway between the full and add marks.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

So the dealer has had it 3 times and has not been able to solve the complaint yet?Is there another dealer close to you 3 times is unacceptable and it sounds like to me you've lost a little confidence in the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Love the car when it's not worrying me. I'll follow your advice and take it to another dealer. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and please let me know if you need anymore help,thanks!!