Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 1993 Subaru Legacy L, DIS, non turbo, standard

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Subaru Legacy L, DIS, non turbo, standard transmission, AWDrive, It was running ok, then the engine just stopped. I have checked the spark and there is none. The engine cranks. I am geting 1VAC from the crankshaft position sensor while cranking. I am geting 12 volts DC to the Ignition control module when tested to car body, I am gettting 12 volts DC to the ignition coils when tested to car body but not when test against other two wires. The primary coils measure .8kohm, the secondary measure 21kohms. I am geting 12 volts to the fuel injectors when cranking. The spark plugs appear to be dry though. The feul pum is working due to fuel spay before and after the fuel filter. I have not tested the cam,shaft position sensor yet. What else should I test for?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Have you checked the timing belt?

If not, take the left hand timing cover off, driver's side for US, and see if the camshafts spin while cranking.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary, I have not gotten to the timing belt yet. Is there a difference in what turns the crankshaft and the camshaft? I understand that the crank position sensor would not generate a voltage if the mechanism that passes by it was not spinning to generate the AC signal? So there is a different mechanism for the camshaft?
Paul
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul,

Please check the timing belt is intact and turns the camshafts while cranking.

The engine will not run or even attempt to start if the timing belt is damaged in any way.

If the cam timing is wrong is a result of incorrect cam timing, bent valves is usually the result.

Don't worry about any further electrical diagnosis until you have proved the cam timing is correct.

Gary