Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2008 impreza 2.5i. The car won't turn over. It

Customer Question

I have a 2008 impreza 2.5i. The car won't turn over. It starts to crank and then completely loses all power- just goes dead, no lights, no power. I tested the battery, it was putting out max cranking power, and tried a jump start. With the jumper cables attached, the electronics and the gauges were going haywire, the cd player started changing discs and there wasn't really any cranking happening.
Tried jumping it yesterday when it was hot. Got battery checked today, and cleaned off terminals. It tried to crank, but then just died- no power. Waited a minute, tried again, almost turned over, but died again.
What should I check next? I looked at the connections coming off the battery and to the starter. Everything seemed intact
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

How was the battery tested?
How many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brought the battery to a battery store. They said it was testing at 600+ cranking ampsThe car only has about 66,500 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've only been driving it for about a month. No other problems to speak off electrically.After checking it later today, I tried starting it. It briefly cranked, but didn't turnover. Then it just died completely, no connection. Wiggled the connections and it came back again, but had same result. Also noticed the negative cable was very hot coming off the terminal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery was not very well secured either, so I think there might have been some movement- maybe that is connected to the problem somehow too
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

This is a bad connection. This is why the negative cable is getting hot. You should check both ends of the cables, at the battery and at the starter if you are certain that the battery is good. Usually a hot negative cable means there is a poor ground, or the cable itself has some corrosion. Since you can wiggle the cable and get some life back, albeit short,this really indicates a bad connection.

Also, look for any signs of swelling under the insulation on the cable.

Please check this and let me know.