Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Im im in a pickle. after replacing the r fr. cv axle of my

Customer Question

hi im eric im in a pickle. after replacing the r fr. cv axle of my 2003 subaru outback, the strut/spring are now too extended to reattach to the hub. iv tried spring compressors w/o success. need to put this all back together. any suggestions?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Do you still need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, couple things for you to try.

First, the strut won't extend to far, what will or can happen though is the axle might not be through the hub far enough to tip the spindle up so you can lock it in.

Disconnect the sway bar link. This will allow you to push the lower control arm down enough to get the bolts lined back in the spindle so you can connect the strut. Most of the pressure on the lower control arm comes from there.

This should make it so you can reconnect.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Strut is back on hub. Bolt hole at end of sway bar is now 1-2 inches above corresponding bolt hole on hub. When to I rebolt that, when the wheels back on & the jacks down?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Well, what I would usually do is take a large prybar and pull the sway bar down and push the link through. This might be easier if you have both front wheels off the ground, and be careful, you don't wanna bop yourself in the head with the prybar. Been there and done that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see above please
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Possible to send a photo?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Did my instructions not help you get the car back together? Or do you need further assistance?