peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2011 legacy unable to remove key from ignition

Customer Question

Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the ignition is not turning all the way off to remove the key this can be due to the shifter not all the way in park with an auto transmission or the shifter position switch failing telling the computer it isn't in park when it actually is.I have also seen issues with the electronic ignition switch itself at fault needing replaced to correct issues like this here.

If the key is all the way off but the key will not come out most likely the ignition cylinder is coming apart internally causing this fault here and needs either replaced or in some cases a small amount of lubricant can be sprayed past the key into the cylinder to work the key loose from there.

This will have to be checked into further to see which component is causing this here then repaired from there.

Thanks Pete