tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I need to replace my sunroof motor

Customer Question

I need to replace my sunroof motor
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,forgive me but why do you think it is a motor failure,has the fuses and wiring been checked?We have very few motor failures but I will give you all the help you need reguardless,thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sunroof opens and closes intermittently need to locate the motor on my 2003 outback
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in case of rain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the sunroof top motor located and how can access it?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,the sunroof motor is in the rear of the car to get at it the headliner needs to be partially removed ,the trim from the passenger compartment back should be removed so the headliner hangs and you can access it,there are 3 screws holding the motor onto the frame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a manual way to close it
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Yes there is a allen head screw in the middle of the motor turn it with a allen wrench that should be supplied in the tool kit that came with the car, if it isn't there ,any allen wrench will do I believe the size is 5 mm but I could be wrong,the headliner doesn't need to be dropped either just remove the access plug in the rear of the headliner,thanks