tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Have a 2011 Subaru outback 2.5L auto that gets 30+/- mpg

Customer Question

have a 2011 Subaru outback 2.5L auto that gets 30+/- mpg highway that is suddenly getting 12-13 1 tank ago the check engine light was on for about a 1/2 tank but for the next 1.5 tanks was getting 30.2 avg then after filling up started getting the terrible mileage
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,how does it run? If you notice no problems with the way it's running, no black smoke out of the exhaust which would indicate a rich fuel mixture then the problem is not with the engine .The check engine lamp may have turned on due to a problem with the fuel gauge senders we see it sometimes,what we find is additives in fuel nowadays eats the contacts of the senders and causes false readings,if you can have your computer system scanned a code should be stored and we can make a better diagnosis.Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx I will take it to the local shop where they can scan the computer tomorrow am
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
No problem,I'll be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
readout at autozone indicated a very small EVAP system leak which could have caused the original chk engine lite I had them clean the fuel system and put in new air filter as PM still no definitive diagnosis as to why the very poor gas mileage
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
The small evap leak would not cause 15 miles difference in fuel mileage,other things to check, lift the front and rear of the car and make sure all wheels are turning freely excessive brake drag can reduce mileage,tire pressure,condition of tires,uneven tire wear.Have you zeroed both trip odometers and are you doing your own calculations or going by the readout on the dash?