Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I am replacing the fuel filler neck on a 2001 Subaru

Customer Question

I am replacing the fuel filler neck on a 2001 Subaru Forester. Supposedly a 0.7 hour job. I have spent almost two hours trying to find a way to drain the fuel tank. AlldataDiy shows an access panel in back of the rear seats but there is none on my car. I removed the back seat. No access there. I've checked the gas tank under the car. No access there. Should I drive the car until it runs out of gas?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the easiest way to empty the tank is to locate where the rubber fuel feed pipe locates onto the fuel injector rail and put this into a seperate vessel then locate the fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse box and remove it then use a short length of wire to bridge the 30 and 87 pins to swich on the pump ( with the ignition on)