George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

I have a 97 Subaru legacy with brake problems. Car won't go

Customer Question

I have a 97 Subaru legacy with brake problems. Car won't go over 50mph, both front brakes are dragging. Have replaced calipers, master cylinder and power booster. This car has no abs and 4 lines to the master. Any ideas?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The front brakes are always dragging or is it OK then while you drive they apply by themselves?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worked great for a couple days since replacing the master, but now they are always dragging and the pedal is low and very hard. Started with this problem a week ago. Thought the master solved it.last time this occurred the piston was extremely hard to compress, seemed like fluid lock to both front wheels.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

If you open the bleeder at the wheel does the brake release? How about if you crack the line open at the master cylinder?

Do you have vacuum to the booster?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You say the calipers were replaced, were the slider pins in the caliper bracket that the caliper bolts to free to move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is vacuum to the booster. The calipers were able to retract when the bleeder was open at the calipers, did not try to crack the line at the master. The calipers slides and brackets were just replaced. I was thinking maybe there was a rubber line collapsed inside, but not to both wheels. There would seem to be a seperste line for each wheel right from the master. I am a heavy truck mech, was looking for a specific Subaru issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The master was very difficult to bench bleed, had to prime the lines with fluid. But I got all the air out then bled all the wheels thoroughly.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The hydraulic system is the same as other car lines, nothing specific here but normal testing.

If the brakes are applied all the time is the pushrod length on the booster correct? The rod should not be pressing on the piston with the engine running and your foot off the pedal. Other possibility is the booster is being pulled forward by a poor seal on the back half which would apply the brake.

No trick here but trying to isolate the source of the problem, check the pushrod (brakes release if you remove the nuts on the master to booster) and see if the booster is leaking at the rear seal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 1/4 inch of free play in the pedal/push rod. I will check the booster seal but I doubt that is problem as that is also new.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I don't know what you are seeing, these are things I would be checking. 1/4 inch is way too much, how come it is so short?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 1/4 of free play measured at the pedal....at the booster push rod it is much less, probably about 1/16.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, that is better, do you know how to do the booster check?

New means Never Ever Worked so unless it tests as good I would not count on new as being good.

Was the brake pedal pushrod adjusted to 5.72 inches center of clevis to face of booster against firewall?

Let me know what you are seeing

Thanks