Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist
13677702

I need to change an h6 3.0 alternator but I am not sure how

Customer Question

I need to change an h6 3.0 alternator but I am not sure how to get to the tensioner pulley and I am afraid it will break.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Randall,. Have you done anything yet? or just asking how to relieve belt tension

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the battery, guard, and red connector on alternator. Alternator was reading 11.4 under load while on and I checked voltage deltas to make sure there was a solid connection.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds like bad alternator. have you done anything to try to remove the belt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ready to remove the alternator but I haven't seen a tensioner like this before. I have removed the belt guard (and dropped my socket in the abyss twice /:-)).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't removed the belt yet, of course.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Ok, did not understand per your post/question as to what stage you were at, did not want to repeat something.To loossen the belt? you have to feed a wrench to the tensioner pulley bolt. Honestly? I can No remember all and the exact size, of the bolt head, I think 15mm may be wrong, You put wrench on and rock clockwise and hold it to loosen belt. Sorry can not remember bolt size witout looking,. I out a link to the repair. Fit a wrench that fits, pivot to the right, it is spring loaded, will NOT do harm, hold it there and slip the belt off. See the link I included

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 14 mm. I will give it a shot.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I was going to say 15 mm as most common, work on so many different makes models, Cant remember each and every , Soory for that, if 14 mm?> do as I sent, it will work to get belt off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't sure if it was cc or cw but the drawing answered it just fine. Belt is off. Any advice of putting it back on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idler pulley may be in the way of my size if wrench. Is it difficult to remove?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

HUM, YOU CAN NOT GET WRENCH BACK ON TO TURN BACK TO LEFT TO HOLD AND SLIP BELT BACK ON? YOU CANT REMOVE A PULLEY AND AT SAME TIME PUT BELT ON. HAVE TO USE A WRENCH OR SOCKET TO GET TENSIONER BACK TO THE LEFT. MAKE SENSE?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't have the part until tomorrow but I will give it a go. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

no problem you should be just fine. maybe this link will help as well