Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a 98 legacy limited. That had a 2.0 installed by

Customer Question

I have a 98 legacy limited. That had a 2.0 installed by previous owner. The car won't turn over when the key is turned gauges do weird things. When pull started it starts right up, and idles fine gauge are normal. But when given gas. Gauges act up and it chugs. Motor also sounds like it has a lope to it. Any ideas would be grateful.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

First, do you hear a click or anything when you try to start it with the key?
When it is running, any check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no click when turning the key. I hooked my scanner up and have a few codes starter malfunction. Which only shows up when pull started. A transmission code which has been there since I owned it. A fail safe code which shuts down 2 cylinders. Which when I looked in to it goes along with the trans code.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Interesting, i am unaware of a fail safe that kills 2 of the cylinders. Do you have the transmission code available?
This could be why there isn't any sound when you try to start it with the key.

Wondering if it's possible for you to give me the actual P codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P1100 starter malfunction. P1101 Neutral position switch high input. P1507 idle control system malfunction. The later to have been there since I owned the vehicle. Have never caused any problems like this.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the neutral position switch is casing the 1507 code. The car thinks it's in neutral when it's in gear so the computer thinks you are getting high rpms when you are driving.

It is possible there is a starter issue, however I think I would start with the clutch safety switch, just to see if it's a factor for why the starter is not even clicking when you try to start the car. You can unplug it and jump it. I would like to start there to see if it makes any difference because the car will run, even though it's not great when you pop start it. So, please give this a try and let me know.

Thanks.