Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

The shifter/shifter knob (not the steering wheel!) on my

Customer Question

The shifter/shifter knob (not the steering wheel!) on my (son's 2007 Subaru Outback has a noticeable wobble when you apply moderate to strong acceleration. Usually at a certain RPM range (2500-&up). We had a wheel bearing replaced but that did not help. It feels like it is coming from an internal source? ..." All the engine mounts have been checked along with the transmission mount.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I would check the drive shaft. If there is a binding U joint or an issue with the carrier bearing it would cause the transmission to vibrate. If the issue is internal then the front diff and transmission pan should be drained and inspected for metal filings. I personally would start with the rear drive shaft as a cause. Take it right out and inspect the joints.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the normal labor (time wise) for this and what necessary parts are needed. Also can you drive the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the normal cause for this type of repair?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

The labor for checking the driveshaft and bearing should only run about 1.0 hours,

Then if the shaft or bearing is the culprit you will be looking at replacing the driveshaft. Usually it's best to go with a used one, last used one we did was about $350 for the shaft. The u joints cannot be replaced on these.

If this condition is only happening on fairly tight turns, then it could be an issue with the center differential on the transmission. This type of repair runs about $850