tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I own a 2013 subaru Forrester and I hear a sound similar to

Customer Question

Hi
I own a 2013 subaru Forrester and I hear a sound similar to a clanking/knocking sound coming from my vehicle in the rear. I have brought it in about 3 - 4 times to my subaru service station and they could not see where or what is causing the sound. They road test it with me and did hear the sound as well, came back and put it up on the ramp and check for anything loose, missing whatever but came up with NOTHING. I feel very uncomfortable driving my fairly new vehicle that the experts cannot diagnose. I am uneasy and its driving me crazy. please help me
Thanks
Theresa
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi Theresa,can you give me a little more information please,I'm wondering when the noise occurs,over bumps,city or highway speeds,on turns etc...Do you know what they tried so far to pinpoint the noise?How many miles,how long has the noise been happening?Does the vehicle have a trailer hitch and if so is it used regularly,thanks, I'll await your reply so we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tamaz,
The sound is heard at all speeds when the car is in motion. I have been hearing this sound almost a year now. I do not have a trailer hitch.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Theresa,noises are tough over the internet but from my experiences I've had problems with the heat shield that runs along the center exhaust pipe,sometimes while driving the wind catches it and creates a noise similar to what you've described.Once the vehicle is put on the lift to inspect you don't notice the problem becausethe air is not contacting it which makes the problem frustrating to solve for the customer and the tech.I think if it was something obviuos it would have been already found,thanks .