tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

there is a slow leak under the front passenger seat of my

Customer Question

there is a slow leak under the front passenger seat of my 1998 Subaru Forester which makes the seat look like it has an oil pattern on the upholstery.  What is causing this and what can I do about it?

Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, does the vehicle have a seat heater? I'm suspecting the heating grid has shorted causing the pattern you speak of, if this is the case a new seat heater grid and seat cover will be needed,thanks for your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't have a seat heater, and the model is L, not S. I've attached a photo of the seat. None of the other seats have any of this.

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,thanks for the pictures it helps a lot to see what your describing,there is nothing beneath the seat cover besides a foam cushion then,does the vehicle have a sunroof?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No sunroof, unfortunately.

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

I'm a t a loss here,I cant imagine anything coming from undnerneath because it would need to penetrate about 8-9 inches of foam and plus no lines run underneath the seat,with nothing coming from the roof this may be caused by something that was sprayed or leaked onto the seat that did not mesh with the fabric causing this discoloration.To get to the root cause of the problem the seat c over would need to be removed,once removed you can see if it penetrated from the cushion or if something came from on top,sorry I don't have a better answer but I think it's the most logical ,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that a heating grid was installed but no switches were installed? How do you remove the seat cover?

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, no chance at that and from the pictures you sent they don't match the damage a shorted heater grid would make.To remove the seat cover it's easiest to remove the whole seat from the car this way you can access the underneath,once removed the cover is held to the frame with plastic claws and hog rings,the seat belt buckle and side panel must be removed before you start removing these,you start from underneath releasing the claws and rings and work your way to the top, a special tool is needed along with new hog rings to complete the re installation,thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yikes! Maybe I should just try to clean it - are there any upholstery cleaners that wouldn't ruin the seat but that might work with this (without removing the seat)?

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Sure,for automotive applications I would visit a auto parts store they will have what you need ,thanks